Monday, April 6, 2009

Daffodil



Daffodils

by William Wordsworth

I wander'd lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the Milky Way,
They stretch'd in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced, but they
Outdid the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed -- and gazed -- but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

It is a cold rainy day here in Connecticut and there is a forecast of possible snow. the site of daffodils blooming brighten up my day and make me believe in the joys of Spring.

6 comments:

Joanne said...

Oh you are so right about the rain here, a good steady one, most definitely. Your poem brightened a gray day!

Dakota Bear said...

Joanne-I think I see the sun tying to shine. I got so chilled I had to get some coffee.

Feisty Crone said...

Awesome picture and poem!

Ruth said...

There were so many daffodils in NYC! I loved seeing them and the forsythia. Cool you were there too.

Sebastian said...

beatiful picture.....for us sunny days are coming to London

Carol said...

The flowers are beautiful this year. Water is very peaceful and relaxing. Spring is a very special time of the year. Things began to grow, sprout, blossom, God has blessed us with so much beauty around us.